Microblading is a semi-permanent brow tattoo performed with a small handheld tool, using a feather stroke technique to produce the appearance of fuller eyebrows or to enhance the natural brow shape. Microblading is a softer/more subtle cosmetic tattoo compared to older brow tattoo methods. Body tattoos use ink while cosmetic tattoo procedures involve pigments that are implanted between the epidermis and dermis. These pigments are designed to gently fade over time. Fading is desired as it allows the artist to make changes to color and shape over the years as client’s natural coloration and facial changes occur.
Ombre Powder brows use only machine shading to create a powdered effect. This technique is great for clients who want a well-defined brow shape and like a more filled in brow look. It is good for all skin types, especially oily skin with large pores.
This is our combination brow technique which uses two permanent makeup techniques: microblading and machine shading to create a more defined eyebrow. This is good for clients who prefer a natural wispy look at the front of the brows and a well-defined arch and outer tail.
The treatment is considered semi-permanent and will fade over time. Touch-ups are recommended once a year to maintain shape, color, and detail. How often depends on a number of factors including:
- Skin type (oily skin fade faster)
- Pigment color used (lighter colors fade faster)
- Sun exposure (over time can cause fading and discoloration of the pigment)
- Metabolism (clients with a faster metabolism will fade quicker)
- Use of daily anti-aging products e.g.- (Tretinoin (Retin-A) & Alpha Hydroxy). These products increase your cell turnover rate and will shorten the life of your cosmetic tattoo
The eyebrow area will be slightly red after the procedure and color will appear dark for the next 24-48 hours. This is normal for the procedure and part of the healing process. The color will fade by up to 40-50% as it heals. In the following days, the eyebrows will continue to be dark and you will notice slight scabbing. Do not pick at the scabs as this may damage the skin and the outcome of the microbladed area. The eyebrows will lighten up in color as it heals. No down time is required after microblading procedure. It takes approximately 7-14 days for the brows to heal over, and about 6 weeks for the color to fully set in. You'll notice the color is very light right after the two weeks after healing; the skin will have an opaque milky looking tone to it. This is known as milk skin and is common in tattooing. This is due to the tissue still healing from the inside out even though the surface of the skin is healed. True color will reveal itself once healed at the 6 week mark.
Two hours on average. If you choose to do the Ombre Powder or Signature Brow the session can last up to three hours. During your appointment we will consult with you the entire time ensuring we are on the same page. Much of the time is spent measuring and drawing on a symmetrical set of brows and agreeing on your perfect shape and color. The actual procedure itself takes about 30 minutes to an hour. The touch-up appointment will take about an hour.
In order to ensure that the brows heal perfectly a minimum of two treatments are usually needed 6-8 weeks apart on average. This first 6 week touch-up is included as it gives us the ability to correct any areas that possibly faded or allows the client to make suggestions if they want adjustments with the shape or color. Most importantly, your touch up session is when we refine your brows to ensure it looks perfect and retains the color for the whole year!
Everyone has a different pain tolerance. We do all that we can to ensure that the process is as comfortable as possible. Before the Microblading begins, a topical anesthetic is applied to the area to minimize discomfort, followed by a liquid anesthetic during the procedure. (PLEASE NOTE that if you are a frequent smoker, or have your appointment during your menstrual cycle, the pain level could be intensified.)
- Anyone under 18 years of age
- Pregnant or nursing (we recommend waiting two months after nursing due to hormonal changes for optimal healed results)
- History of keloids or hypertrophic scarring
- History of Epilepsy, MRSA, or lupus
- Chemotherapy (at least a year out and requires doctor's clearance)
- Diabetic (requires doctor's clearance)
- Viral infections or diseases
- Pacemaker or major heart problems
- Organ transplant
- Using Accutane (must be off for one year)
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Allergy to epinephrine, dermacaine, benzyl alcohol, lidocaine, or tetracaine
- Currently taking antibiotics (must be off for at least 30 days prior to appointment)
In order to achieve the best results, it is best to follow the pre and post care instructions.
Prior to your procedure, clients are advised of the following:
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 72 hours.
- Avoid tanning so we can assess your natural skin tone.
- No face scrubs or chemical peels at least two weeks prior.
- Feel free to come in with your brow makeup on so our technician can see the every day look you prefer. Reference pictures of shapes and colors of brows are always welcomed. We will then work together to create the perfect brows!
- Within 2 hours after the procedure, clean brows using a q-tip and lightly moisten with distilled or cooled downed boiling water. Gently wipe away the old healing balm and any lymphatic liquid (clear yellowish liquid) that may have built up. Lightly pat dry with tissue and using a new q-tip, re-apply healing balm to the brows.
- Make sure to apply a light layer of healing balm morning and night to brows for at least 5-7 days.
- Do not over apply healing balm.
- Do not immerse brow area in water for 7 days. When showering, make sure to avoid eyebrow area. When cleaning or washing face, make sure to avoid brows and clean around it.
- You must avoid working out for 7 days following your Microblading procedure. Light exercising is allowed (minimal sweating), but you must clean the tattooed area with lukewarm water as soon as you are done exercising. The salt in sweat will fade the pigment very quickly and give poor results.
- Do not put makeup on the brow area for a minimum of 10 days. Microbladed area is an open wound, using makeup may cause infections.
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 24 hours.
- Brow area will feel slightly itchy as it heals and will start to lightly scab over. Do not peel or pick at the scabs as this can affect the outcome and pigmentation.
- Do not go swimming, tanning or into saunas for at least 14 days.
- No face scrubs or chemical peels at least 2 weeks after.
After your procedure, clients MUST follow these instructions: